Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Busy Busy Busy

We have been working every free minute to get this place ready to move into this weekend. Not everything will be done. This will be a never-ending project that keeps us busy throughout the winter. That's ok because our budget overruns have eaten our entertainment budget for the foreseeable future:)

The hardwood floors are done and they look AWESOME!


We now have another fully functioning bathroom. (we've been operating with just the one in the basement) The sinks will be operational in the other 2 bathrooms (now that the walls are patched and painted) as soon as Mark gets a minute to hook them up.

I spent the weekend saying not nice things about the guy we hired to put up the trim and moldings. In his rush to finish before the floor guy kicked him out for a few days, he slapped up the baseboards on the main floor. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it made for quadruple the work because they interfered with the floor install (they were nicked by sander &  have stain on them)They went up un- painted. So all along the newly finished hardwood had to be taped off and nail holes filled and seams and top caulked and then painted. My other beef was that this "professional painter" didn't even think to mask off where I had already painted when he sprayed the board and batten and cubbies in the dining room so there was overspray all over. I very highly DON'T recommend anyone every using him. I have been finding proof of his shoddy workmanship all over. He has a few things to finish up but I am seriously considering paying more to have someone else do it.   I have liked all of the people we have used for this project with this one exception. If you are ever thinking of hiring someone for this kind of work, call me and make sure it's not this guy.


Cutting in paint is not the "funnest" job.

We had someone come and clean our ducts. We needed to get rid of all dirt and kitty residue. I was told by Mark that it was a good thing I was not there to see what came out because I would have "thrown up in my mouth" it was THAT gross. There was also some mold-probably from the previous owner running the humidifier at 45% for several years. So needless to say, my $69.95 duct cleaning coupon was moot:( But on the plus side- we will breathe so much better. I was getting headaches in there every day.



Mudded the risers on the stairs and sanded, taped and primed and will start painting tonight.


We found a new way to clean blinds. We loaded them up in the back of Ernie's truck (thanks for letting us borrow your ride) and drove them down to the do-it-yourself carwash. We used the floor mat clips to hold up the main rail and let the slats all the way out. The power spray and foam brush did an awesome job at getting off the crud.

Found lots of cool storage ideas at IKEA. Kyle liked it, don't let him tell you otherwise.


In between working during the day and working at the condo we are still trying to pack a few boxes and patch a few nail holes. Also, my sweet neighbor Gayle has allowed me to refinish furniture in her garage. Hopefully I get all of these projects completed before moving day so I don't have to add one more thing to my "to do " list.

We have lights!
My favorite is the ceiling fan that I refurbished with a can brushed nickel spray paint. It was white with nice brass do-dahs. After spraying the brass and adding a new light kit, I think it looks SO much better.

I need to find a good deal on door knobs. The ones I picked from the brochure are of course, the most expensive ones in the valley. So I need to start an online quest or we will be living with an open door policy.

We opted for floors upstairs instead of flooring for the basement, so that project is put on hold for a little while.

But all in all, we have had fun and will have the satisfaction of making this place our own with a lot of sweat equity. Anyone who needs a service project, community service, exercise or an excuse to get out of doing projects at their own house is welcome (and very appreciated) to help us move Friday evening or Saturday morning.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment